Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
USA TODAY Network is looking for an experienced and distinguished editor to lead its investigative team.
Your job will be to help a group of award-winning reporters find and execute stories of impact. We're looking for someone with the proven ability to spot amazing stories and guide the reporting process, as well as to polish the work to a high sheen through the editing process. High level storytelling and editing skills are a must.
You will need to be a team leader, a creative problem solver and a storyteller. We value accuracy and hard-hitting investigative work. But we believe the best stories spark an emotional reaction in readers. People respond with outrage to great investigative work. They empathize with characters in great narratives. They feel enlightened when they learn something surprising.
Your job will be to drive those things into our enterprise report.
You will work with a dedicated team of reporters at USA TODAY. But you will also be working with the largest team of journalists in the U.S., with the nation as your subject, coordinating stories in collaboration with reporters and editors at our 100-plus newspapers nationwide.
This position can be based at our headquarters in McLean, VA, one of our local newsrooms or remotely under the right circumstances.
- Lead a team of investigative reporters and collaborate with others across a large organization to identify and execute distinctive investigative journalism.
- Drive innovative storytelling in all formats, from written word to video, audio and graphics.
- Conceptualize stories, work with reporters to develop reporting plans and edit their work into a polished and engaging final form
- Collaborate with web developers, graphics teams, and photo/video departments to ensure compelling visuals and presentation in all formats.
- Proven ability to lead teams and push journalists to do their best work.
- A fine-tuned sense of right and wrong and a keen understanding of how to make complex stories relatable.
- A deep understanding of how to use records and data to answer questions.
- The organizational ability to manage multiple projects and juggle short-term and long-term reporting efforts.
- The ability to digest large amounts of information, "see the story," and help reporters execute with urgency.
- Excellent story-telling skills
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top