Internal Audit Director
- McLean, VA
McLean, VA, USA; Virtual Req #11034
Wednesday, July 8, 2020
The Internal Audit Director will be responsible for assisting with developing, planning, organizing and directing the company's audit program and informing senior management as to the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The Internal Audit Director is responsible for directing and overseeing the day to day activities of the Internal Audit Department and will report to the Vice President, Internal Audit. This position requires the Director to be able to work under minimal supervision.
List of Essential Duties
- Help to develop a risk based annual audit plan, staffing assignments, and apply individual judgment in determining audit coverage.
- Direct audit engagement programs to perform financial, operational and information technology, with the support of the co-sourced service provider(s).
- Lead internal control audits of functional areas identified in the annual audit plan, and report significant issues related to processes and controls, including risks inherent in and potential improvements to those processes and controls.
- Responsible for department administration, including staff supervision, timely report issuance, resource management, execution of the annual audit plan, productivity analysis and cost control.
- Assist with the establishment and maintenance procedures for the execution of audits in accordance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors. Use sound judgment and creativity when working with others to formulate practical recommendations in response to control concerns and opportunities for improvement.
- Promote concepts of internal control to assist management in meeting responsibilities for an effective internal control environment.
- Communicate findings with clients in a timely manner, obtaining client agreement on root cause of issues and commitment to implement recommendations.
- Review final audit communications, presentation of issues, and audit report to senior management.
- Oversee follow−up on the internal audit findings and recommendations to ensure adequacy and timeliness of actions, until deficiencies are remediated.
- This role will be based in Mclean, VA and may require up to 30% travel, including international travel
- Bachelor or Advanced degree, preferably in accounting, finance or related field.
- 10+ years of experience with internal controls/SOX, finance, accounting and/or process improvement, with a minimum of 6-8 year of financial audit experience
- Technical Accounting expertise is preferred
- Professional certification (CPA, CIA, CISA, etc.)
- Ability to prepare and perform comprehensive self-review of audit documentation and memoranda, with close attention to detail.
- Documentation prepared by the Director should be of the highest quality and warrant few comments from the VP Internal Audit.
- Ability to meet pre-determined deadlines and manage personal schedule, as well as that of the IA Manager, IA Senior and IA Staff
- Ability to lead both initiatives and team in a fast-paced environment and comfortable driving and facilitating change.
- Ability to quickly synthesize relevant information in unfamiliar situations.
- Comprehensive understanding of audit practices, accounting policies, including COSO, Sarbanes-Oxley and Enterprise Risk Management practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including listening, verbal, written and presentation communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the company, including senior level management.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service focus, including the ability to manage potentially contentious interactions and the ability to strike a balance between oversight and getting buy-in from process and control owners
- Ability to translate short-term and long-term department goals into team and individual performance goals.
- Maintain knowledge of current accounting and auditing practices through continuing professional education.
- Ability to design and implement new processes.
- Deliver work assignments on a timely basis.
- Comfortable working and managing in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top