Immigrant Communities Reporter
Indiana, USA • Indianapolis, IN, USA Req #17805
Saturday, August 7, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Indianapolis Star, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a reporter to write about and for immigrants while also covering communities in Indianapolis.
Indianapolis has a small but growing immigrant population and this reporter will be key to developing trust and sources within those communities. This reporter should be fluent in Spanish and is expected to contribute with translations during breaking news events, as well contribute to IndyStar's Spanish-language newsletter, La Estrella.
This reporter is also key to IndyStar's mission of expanding equity coverage in Indianapolis by reporting on the things that are important to underserved communities. We will get to know these communities by owning geographic areas. Along with covering the growing immigrant communities, this reporter will focus on the western townships (Pike, Wayne, Decatur) of Indianapolis.
Within these three townships, this reporter will focus specifically on issues impacting neighborhoods and people we haven't traditionally covered. This includes immigrant communities, communities of color, religious minorities and economically depressed areas. We will cover the daily concerns of these communities, from schools to roads to home prices.
This is part of a larger team tasked with covering social inequity in housing, social services, immigration, schools, workplaces, cultural institutions, the legal system and health care.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Cultivate sources and keep a pulse on their beat.
- Keep diversity and equity at the forefront of coverage considerations.
- Produce a mix of daily, enterprise and in-depth articles.
- Willingness and ability to work in a variety of story forms.
- Incorporate digital journalism tools in day-to-day reporting, including basic digital photo and video, social media and other web-based journalism tools.
- Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years post-college working in journalism.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Proficiency navigating business filings, court documents and public records.
- Skill in building sources both in institutions and in the community.
- An engaging voice and willingness to experiment.
- An interest in analytics and willingness to learn from what captures audience attention.
- Reliably clear and compelling copy, whether with quick breaking news or in-depth investigations.
- Competence with digital journalism tools, such as social media, internet-based research and digital publishing platforms.
- Strong proficiency on social media platforms
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top