Higher Education Reporter
- Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #13675
Monday, February 1, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Higher Education Reporter
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , a 2018 Pulitzer Prize winner and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a reporter to cover all aspects of higher education in Arizona - the state's university system, the community college system in Maricopa County, Grand Canyon University and all the private postsecondary schools that draw students (and financial aid).
Coverage should have a distinct consumer focus, tracking issues of high interest to students, parents and employees whose lives intersect with these institutions. We expect aggressive, exclusive and topical reporting, smart coverage of the news and policy issues and a watchdog sensibility.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages and entertains specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in journalism or data-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years' newsroom experience.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Experienced shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Back to top