Evansville, IN, USA • Indiana, USA Req #19732
Sunday, November 14, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Evansville Courier & Press, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an energetic reporter to cover high school sports.
The ideal candidate will use sources to find and tell compelling human-interest stories and identify interesting trends for enterprise stories that go beyond what happened on the court or field. We're looking for someone who is digitally savvy, committed to using social media to drive engagement and ready to drive conversation among passionate players, coaches, fans and parents.
The best candidate will have strong writing ability and the knowledge to write about a variety of sports. We want someone who is ambitious, thinks big, writes with authority, and has a passion for storytelling and breaking news.
- Be the area's leading voice in community that's passionate about high school sports.
- Connect with the community through Facebook and Twitter.
- Craft coverage based on historical success and adapt approach based on digital metrics and audience needs.
- Capture basic photos and video as needed. Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the company.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year of reporting/newsroom experience is preferred.
- Adept at taking photos and video.
- Command of grammar and AP style.
- The ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others.
- Able to work nights and weekends as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
So that's what we're looking for from you.
Here's a little more about us: We're a newsroom of almost two dozen journalists -- veterans, newbies and mid-career -- who are proud to deliver the news our readers need and want. From watchdog projects to consumer news to sports, we give them the stories they can't find anywhere else.
And we love where we live. Here in Evansville, Indiana, a city of more than 100,000 in the heart of the Midwest, we're all about sports -- high school and college -- and summer festivals. We're home to the third-oldest baseball stadium in the country, and we punch above our weight in the cultural arena, with a zoo, symphony and children's museum, among many amenities. Traffic snarls are practically nonexistent, the cost of living is crazy-low, and the sun puts on a glorious show most days as it sets over cornfields and the mighty Ohio River.
The location is also convenient. We're two hours from Louisville, Indianapolis and Nashville, with St. Louis and Cincinnati also easy drives.
If you're ready for the next move in your career and life, don't wait to apply.
* Application Instructions : The application only allows one document upload, so please provide all your materials combined as a single attachment (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio, links, etc.). This will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.