Health care watchdog reporter
The Clarion-Ledger, part of the USA TODAY Network, is looking for a reporter to cover health care, the medical industry and related issues throughout Mississippi.
Health care is one of the most important coverage areas in the country today, and that is especially so in Mississippi and the metro-Jackson area. Tight state budgets are forcing deep cuts to health departments, Medicaid and health care institutions while rural hospitals are suffering and health insurance providers are backing out of pools. At the same time, the health care industry is one of the most vital in our area. Mississippi is home to some of the most cutting-edge medical procedures and research in the country, along with industry-leading telemedicine programs.
We need a reporter who will become the leading voice on health care issues in Mississippi, someone who is adept both at analyzing data to paint accurate pictures of the realities facing our state and at creating narrative-driven features that tell the compelling stories of the people and success stories throughout the health care field.
This job will entail:
- Watchdog reporting that holds our state leaders accountable for the decisions they make regarding health care policy.
- Use of narrative and features to better tell stories about the health care industry and its trends, advancements and people.
- Using digital tools and metrics to grow your audience, increase your reach and build your brand as a leading voice in health care journalism.
- Engaging our audience through social media, in-person forums and other event-based activities.
- Use of video to help tell stories, whether as explainers as part of a package or standalone video features.
- Using data to tell stories in alternative and visually impactful ways.
- Going from project work that could take days or weeks to doing daily coverage of ongoing issues.
- Working with the political editor as part of the political team to cover the legislative session and government issues outside the session.
- Understanding complicated topics and then relating them in easy-to-grasp ways to our readers.
- Effectively communicating with editors, colleagues, sources and our audience.
The Clarion-Ledger is a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper and a digital leader among news organizations. We are known for our political and investigative coverage — not to mention our great storytellers and award-winning sports department. During the last year, two of our major watchdog pieces from our political team led to major legislative reforms being adopted. As the health care reporter, you will be joining this hard-charging, entertaining and engaging group in our newsroom.
ClarionLedger.com is a USA TODAY Network leader in digital performance because of our diverse content offerings, ranging from hard-hitting investigative pieces to in-depth sports analysis to emotional storytelling to comprehensive breaking news coverage.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top