Middletown, RI, USA • Newport, RI, USA • Rhode Island, Portsmouth, RI 02871, USA • Rhode Island, USA Req #20936
Monday, May 2, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Growth and Business reporter
Newport's business scene has it all. From high profile restaurants to the businesses that allow residents to live their lives to the defense industry, there's plenty happening across Newport County.
The Newport Daily News/newportri.com is looking for an energetic reporter who can mine social media and government records and develop a reliable source list to produce a steady flow of engaging stories on Newport County's changing business landscape.
This growth and business reporter position will use those skills to keep readers updated on everything from changes in Newport's popular downtown to the arrival of new high-interest retailers such as clothing stores, grocery stores and restaurants. When a popular new retailer or business is coming to our market, we want to be the first to tell readers about the plans. In addition, the reporter needs to recognize and write about topics related to new development, such as the impact to traffic and nearby residents, along with retail and consumer trends.
- Create high-impact journalism (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) that engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Strong writing and copyediting skills
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about engaging and maintaining digital subscribers
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Industry knowledge.
- Effective written and verbal communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
- Database skills
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Content.
- Valid Drivers license and a reliable vehicle.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.