McLean, VA, USA Req #8336
Tuesday, June 11, 2019
USA TODAY Graphics is looking for visual journalists to join their Pulitzer Prize-winning team.
You will find stories and present them using the web as your medium. This position requires critical thinking, analytical skill, and a strong ability to translate news stories into visuals with code, words, animations, maps, diagrams, charts, and interactive experiences.
Using a combination of concise narratives and a spectrum of emerging digital story forms, the Graphics Reporter will inform USA TODAY Network audiences with easily understood, visually interesting, and accurate work. This includes a variety of storytelling techniques and subject material ranging from breaking news to ambitious enterprise and investigative projects.
The ideal candidate will excel at telling stories with data and presenting news in visually compelling ways that appeal to mobile audiences. This staffer will be expected to evaluate sources of all kinds, from conversations to complex datasets. You should be skilled at synthesizing information quickly while creating visual elements with graphic design software and code. This position requires the ability to work collaboratively and independently in a sometimes hectic and changing newsroom environment.
- Use a blend of front-end development and software tools to execute powerful visual journalism.
- Pitch your own ideas and partner with newsrooms around our network.
- Report stories, analyze data, and synthesize information, then design and develop news visuals.
- Maintain transparency and communication with stakeholders throughout the process.
- Monitor world news as well as evolving industry concepts and methods.
- Ability to quickly originate and communicate ideas, translating data and news into visuals using design and code.
- Ability to research, evaluate and synthesize information quickly and accurately.
- Passion for the intersection of news, data, technology and design.
- Demonstrated ability to execute interactive graphics and data visualization across a wide range of forms and platforms.
- Proficiency in use of various design tools including Adobe, Sketch, etc.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, data visualization, design or related field, and/or 1-3 years of applicable professional experience.
Other skills preferred, but not required:
- Experience with data analysis languages/methods (e.g., Python, R, and QGIS.)
- Experience with visualization software and libraries (e.g., Mapbox, D3, three.js.)
- Other visual skills (e.g., motion graphics, illustration, interaction design, 3D modeling.)
- Experience with database technologies (e.g., SQL, Postgres, Couchbase.)
- Experience with development operations approaches (e.g., Kubernetes, Jenkins, AWS.)
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter, updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It's important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com. #Content
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top