Florida, USA • Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931, USA • Fort Myers, FL, USA • Naples Beach, Naples, FL 34102, USA • Naples, FL, USA Req #19880
Wednesday, November 24, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Do you want to live minutes from the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Everglades? Do you want to write for an engaged readership at a news outlet that is committed to journalism that makes a difference and holds public officials accountable? Do you want to be part of a newsroom that values collaboration and innovation? If so, this is the job for you.
The News-Press and Naples Daily News in Southwest Florida, part of Gannett Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK , seek a government accountability reporter who is an ambitious self-starter passionate about making a difference and holding public officials accountable.
This reporter, part of a team of reporters covering various cities and counties, will focus on the city of Naples, where quality of life, ethics, redevelopment, tourism and the environment are hot topics.
This reporter will focus on enterprising reporting and investigative coverage, digging into the issues and not settling for simplistic answers. This reporter will follow the money (and those who do the spending) - assuring readers their taxes are being spent wisely - and tell those stories in engaging and innovative ways and on a variety of digital and print platforms. This reporter will help to dissect problems that detract from the quality of life and celebrate those things that make it better. Through a combination of quick hits and deep dives, this reporter will challenge the status quo, highlight solutions, and tell stories of the region's extraordinary people and businesses.
The best candidates will have a collaborative spirit and will know how to work with colleagues in newsrooms across the state that are of the USA TODAY NETWORK to identify relevant issues and trends.
This multimedia journalist should have a track record of finding great stories and be experienced in using social media both in reporting and in promoting them. He or she should be adept at source development; have experience using public records, databases, and other digital-focused tools; bring a rock-solid knowledge of AP style; and demonstrate a proven ability to meet daily and weekend deadlines.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience; strong data or investigative internship will be considered.
- Experience with public records is required. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
- Speed and fluency with digital platforms and content management systems. This is a must.
- Understanding of how to use social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit and how to tell multimedia stories.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- A curious mind and conversational approach to writing. This is a role that prizes communication, so clarity is key.
- Fast at writing and ability to take coaching well. We will coach for writing style and tone.
- Organizational skills.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Qualified and interested journalists, please apply with a single document with all your materials combined - (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio links, etc.). The application only allows one document upload, so please provide your materials as a single attachment. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.