Government & Public Policy Reporter
Lubbock, TX, USA • Texas, USA Req #17328
Monday, July 19, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Government & Public Policy Reporter
The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal/ lubbockonline.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,is seeking a government and public policy reporter to cover a broad array of issues in Lubbock, the Texas Tech community and the South Plains of West Texas.
This reporter must be highly motivated, with a proven ability to report compelling stories that resonate with audiences. The successful candidate should be confident pursuing watchdog work, adept in using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting.
He/she will provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change. Video skills are a must.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years' reporting experience working as a professional journalist.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Job includes some evening and weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top