Georgia Statewide Reporter
Augusta, GA, USA ● Georgia, USA Req #12654
Friday, December 4, 2020
Georgia Statewide Reporter
The Augusta Chronicle/ augustachronicle.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Georgia statewide reporter with a local communities state of mind.
This newly created position will allow the writer to tell stories of politics and policies from the statehouse to Washington, D.C., through the experiences of people who live in and around cities such as Savannah, Augusta and Athens. The reporter will cover key issues such as cyber growth, energy, the environment and the military.
Decisions made by lawmakers, businesses and advocates of innumerable causes resonate throughout the state. This reporter informs readers about how these decisions impact their lives and helps readers understand complex issues with smart coverage that humanizes topics.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Use analytics to guide story decisions and to understand how to deliver the content readers want to read.
- Cover news from a digital-first approach; that means breaking news online and developing stories as they unfold throughout the day.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2-3 years' reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top