General Assignment Reporter – Part-Time
Massachusetts, USA ● Provincetown, MA, USA Req #14991
Monday, April 5, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
General Assignment Reporter - Part-Time
The Provincetown Banner/wickedlocal.com, in Provincetown, Massachusetts, partof the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter to join the staff. The Banner publishes a weekly print edition and daily on its website.
The Banner covers Provincetown and the nearby towns of Truro and Wellfleet.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative team player and is committed to reporting the news fully and fairly. The successful candidate will have a passion for community journalism and become a part of the community they cover.
Banner reporters are expected to have some photo skills and multimedia storytelling experience is a plus. The successful candidate will have a passion for community journalism and become a part of the community they cover.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences on multiple platforms.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice for news and issues in the coverage area.
- Work with editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of one-year eporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top