General Assignment Reporter
- Wooster, OH
Wooster, OH 44691, USA Req #14776
Friday, March 26, 2021
The Daily Record (Wooster, Ohio), which is part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a general assignment reporter. This staff writer will be able to cover a broad range of issues -- from community stories to breaking news to enterprise stories to watchdog articles. Candidates must be curious, self-motivated and aggressive in pursuing compelling stories that resonate with readers. The successful candidate will have digital reporting skills and be comfortable with video, requesting public records and analyzing data.
- Will be skilled at reporting and writing
- Will write multiple stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas
- Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures
- Demonstrates a consistent effort
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
Here's what you need:
- Bachelors degree in journalism or equivalent
Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
How to apply
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role.
When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume one to two pages; include references.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work.
- Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
*This job may include some evening and weekend work.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top