Jacksonville, NC, USA • North Carolina, USA Req #21246
Wednesday, February 2, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Jacksonville Daily News / jdnews .com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter to cover Onslow County. While this beat will cover a variety of topics, two primary focus areas will include public safety and military issues.
Th is reporter will research, write and report compelling journalism (in-depth exclusive enterprise, database journalism and storytelling of interest) that continuously grows audience by informing and engaging readers. The reporter also will act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
For public safety, the Daily News is committed to providing public safety and crime reporting that is fair, solution-based and focused on accountability. We want to listen to, engage with and respond to those often underserved and statistically misrepresented in crime and courts coverage. And we aim to balance our crime reporting by highlighting the good news that builds and restores relationships and trust with all residents.
We value diversity and we are looking for journalists who can lift voices from sometimes-overlooked communities. Daily stories, beat coverage, profiles, enterprise, reporter visuals and high comfort with digital are all part of the job.
Onslow County has a population of 198,000 people and is found on the eastern coast of North Carolina. The county's proximity to the coast offers year-around access to beaches, and outdoor activities are plentiful. The area also offers many events for young professionals and family fun.
Jacksonville, the county seat, is home to the US Marine Corps' Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station. Onslow County also includes Holly Ridge, North Topsail Beach, Richlands, Swansboro, Hubert, Verona and Sneads Ferry.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years' reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.