Ashland, OH 44805, USA • Ohio, USA Req #18734
Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Ashland Times-Gazette, which is part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a general assignment reporter.
This staff writer will be able to cover a broad range of issues -- from community stories to breaking news to enterprise stories to watchdog articles.
Candidates must be curious, self-motivated and aggressive in pursuing compelling stories that resonate with readers. The successful candidate will have digital reporting skills and be comfortable with video, requesting public records and analyzing data.
- Will be skilled at reporting and writing
- Will write multiple stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas
- Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures
- Demonstrates a consistent effort
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or equivalent
- Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done.
To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following:
1. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
2. Your resume - one to two pages; include references.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
* Valid driver's license is required
* This job may include some evening and weekend work.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.