General Assignment Reporter
- Paramus, NJ
Bergen County, NJ, USA Req #14298
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Gannett is seeking a general assignment reporter to cover a broad array of issues, from community issues to breaking news to holding local officials and government agencies accountable. Candidates must be naturally curious and motivated, with a proven ability to report compelling stories that resonate with readers. The successful candidate will be comfortable providing context to breaking news or diving deep for revelatory bigger-picture stories. She or he should be adept using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting. Video skills are a must.
- Will be skilled at reporting, writing and editing
- Will write 6-8 stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas
- Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures within the communities/school districts of coverage
- Demonstrates a consistent effort
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or equivalent
- At least one year of daily journalism experience is preferred.
- Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
This job may include some evening and weekend work
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top