General Assignment Reporter
- Des Moines, IA
Des Moines, IA, USA Req #10871
Wednesday, June 17, 2020
General Assignment Reporter
The Des Moines Register /desmoinesregister.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter who will also focus on social justice issues. The ideal candidate will be a strong reporter and writer who will build audience through the power of probing reporting and compelling storytelling.
The bulk of assignments will be quick-hit enterprise bouncing off the news and developed in a day or two. The position reports to the news director. Stories will come from a mix of ideas generated by the reporter and assignments by the news director.
The position requires a versatile journalist who can capably handle profiles, sense-of-place features, trend stories, occasional spot news coverage on major breaking stories and occasional longer, narrative pieces with emotional resonance.
The reporter will be expected to develop deep sourcing in diverse and underrepresented communities and examine inequities in housing, employment, education, the criminal justice system and other areas. Data skills are a plus.
This reporter should demonstrate skill at storytelling across platforms. He or she should be comfortable taking photos and producing video as needed and using social media and other digital tools to present news in novel ways. This reporter will use metrics to understand what's resonating with readers and will shape coverage to steadily increase target audiences.
Des Moines is a growing capital city that has become a magnet for young professionals, attracted by an expanding job base and a vibrant cultural and arts scene.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com mobile and desktop sites and various nondaily publications.
The Des Moines Register is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows audience by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of professional journalism experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top