South Dakota, USA • Watertown, SD 57201, USA Req #18611
Thursday, September 23, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
General Assignment News Reporter
The Public Opinion/ thepublicopinion.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a general assignment news reporter with expertise in storytelling on all platforms.
Watertown is an economic and education hub, home to one of the nation's top technical colleges and neighbor to beautiful lakes that provide wonderful outdoors opportunities. While agriculture is the driving economic force across eastern South Dakota, manufacturing, education, small businesses and the outdoors are all vital to our region.
We are looking for somebody to tell the stories and explain the important issues for our readers. We're looking for someone who can develop a deep network of sources, has a skill for storytelling across platforms and enjoys working with a team.
This reporter should be comfortable taking photos, producing video storytelling and using live chats, social media and other digital tools to present news in novel ways. They will use metrics to understand what's resonating with readers and will shape coverage to steadily increase target audiences.
This position will work with the Watertown newsroom and will be part of the broader South Dakota reporting team that includes papers in Aberdeen and Sioux Falls.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains, and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions
- Report quickly, clearly, and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other methods available to reach our audience
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention
- Engage on social media with sources and audience
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.