General Assignment & Investigative Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The USA TODAY Network-Pacific Group is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover city government, business, agriculture, general assignments and take on investigative projects in Visalia and Tulare, California.
This staff position will be located in Visalia and have the flexibility of working remotely from various locations throughout Tulare County. The selected candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines while developing high-impact, storytelling journalism on longer project schedules. She or he understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This is not a job for someone who needs to be spoon-fed, but for a reporter who can figure out how to get to all of the great ideas on the list.
- Writes quickly, clearly and accurately.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Equally adept at writing breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Works closely with graphic, photo and video teams to optimize and produce content.
- Is comfortable hosting videos, LiveStream or Facebook Live appearances.
- Is comfortable taking photos and creating galleries.
- Engages with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Writes quick-hit enterprise and trend stories off the news.
The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is a plus.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics, AP Style and sourcing.
- Degree in mass communication/journalism. Some experience preferred but recent college graduates with internship, student media and similar experience will be seriously considered.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights, as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on big stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top