General Assignment & Enterprise Reporter
Kinston, NC, USA • North Carolina, USA Req #17251
Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
General Assignment & Enterprise Reporter
USA TODAY NETWORK's Kinston newsroom Kinston.com is hiring a general assignment and enterprise reporter who wants to bring quality local journalism to a spot that needs it.
Our ambitious North Carolina team is connected deeply to local news and the community. We use our resources to cover this area with insightful reporting, cooperating in important ways as a multi-newspaper newsroom.
Lenoir County has a population of 60,000 people and is found centrally in eastern North Carolina. The welcoming and diverse community offers a downtown with Mother Earth Brewery and several local restaurants, including the PBS featured Chef and the Farmer. There is a baseball team in Kinston and a deep history of stellar basketball and high school sports. There are deep societal issues , such as poverty , that are impacting the daily lives of many residents and we need a reporter to take a deep dive and tell the stories of the entire community. A successful reporter should go beyond daily coverage of events and meeting s and connect the dots to the s truggles of the community and the solutions.
We are looking for a highly talented writer and reporter who likes working and living in a small market and has the drive to do great work for local readers. Above all, we value quality work that makes a connection. We create interesting daily reporting and can deliver highly polished projects. We want a candidate that is interested in moving through the ranks to our larger newspapers in the state.
T his role will be a one-person newsroom for Lenoir County, NC , and will be connected to the larger New Bern, NC , newsroom for coaching, training and daily check-ins. We value diversity and we are looking for journalists who can lift voices from sometimes-overlooked communities.
Daily stories, beat coverage, profiles, reporter visuals and high comfort with digital are all part of the job. This reporter will find and tell compelling stories that hold government and institutions responsible to our readers. It's not about meetings. It's about accountability journalism plus a stream of human-interest writing for our digital site.
Coaching is part of our newsroom culture, and we only hire reporters who expect to be challenged to grow, learn and work collaboratively. This reporter will get the chance to do strong enterprise reporting.
Through the USA TODAY Network, we benefit from industry experts, sophisticated tools and training. We aim to be a successful farm team that's part of a larger organization, but also a place where serious journalists stick.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1+ years of professional experience; strong internship will be considered.
- Experience with public records is required. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
- Understanding how to use social media and how to tell multimedia stories is a must.
- Innovative thinker with a passion for keeping on top of evolving trends and technologies in digital media.
- Fast writer who takes coaching well.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, contribute under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Highly organized, creative and critical thinker. Self-motivated and results-oriented with a high regard for details.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top