Food Writer and Dining Critic
- Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #11428
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Food Writer and Dining Critic
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an experienced food writer and dining critic to cover Arizona's diverse food and beverage scene.
This journalist must closely monitor local and national dining trends, restaurant industry news and chefs and other prominent figures in the food and beverage community on social media; build connections across the metro Phoenix dining community; and become familiar with digital tools like Dataminr and CrowdTangle to become the most prominent food media voice in the state and region, as well as a cultural thought leader, helping shape how our audience understands the state of Arizona dining.
The critic will track food, beverage and restaurant industry issues at the local and national level, producing a combination of full-length and capsule reviews, breaking news, cultural criticism, reported essays, longform and multi-sourced stories and multimedia projects in a fast-paced, competitive, 24/7 news cycle. The critic will have a strong grasp on how to best use SEO, social media platforms, digital and production tools and public records.
Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
- Write regular restaurant reviews and food and beverage criticism. Reviews should not only display a strong point of view about the dining experience but also serve as an opportunity to explore topics such as class, race, economics, emotion, conflict and humanity.
- Cultivate a deep curiosity for all things food and drink as well as a passion for exploring the breadth of the metro Phoenix and Arizona restaurant scene, from formal to quotidien.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach target audiences.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Contribute to the food and dining team coverage as needed including with breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Produce and/or write multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to optimize and produce content.
- Appear in videos, Facebook/Instagram livestreams and podcasts. Engage with readers through various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years' writing/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passion and enthusiasm for food and beverage, restaurants and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfort and familiarity with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one page.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Back to top