Food & Entertainment Reporter
Eugene, OR, USA • Oregon, USA Req #18079
Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Food & Entertainment Reporter
The Register-Guard/ registerguard.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,is seeking a features reporter to cover the food and local entertainment scene in Eugene, Oregon.
We're looking for a journalist comfortable with seeking out and telling stories of the unique people who satisfy the appetites and entertain the creative souls of Eugene, Springfield and surrounding Lane County towns and cities.
The ideal candidate will monitor the restaurant and beverage scene in Lane County, which includes restaurants and bars as well as food trucks, breweries, cider makers, distilleries and small food businesses. Coverage takes shape as restaurant news, openings and closings, roundups, trend pieces, profiles, enterprise and long-form features.
Entertainment in and around Eugene comes in many forms, with events embracing the city's counterculture vibe, its passion for movies and filmmaking, and its diverse arts groups (including theater, ballet, art collectives and opera).
Eugene has a robust live music scene, with local musicians and homegrown studios as well as a full schedule of touring acts who play at local venues as large as stadiums to outdoor amphitheaters to local clubs. While coronavirus pandemic has dampened the scene, many venues have started booking shows.
You must be a capable and versatile writer, knowledgeable of pop culture and confident at source-building, self-motivated.
You should have a strong knowledge of SEO, a thorough understanding of audience metrics and an abundant interest in and excitement for the beat.
Located in the Willamette Valley, Eugene sits about an hour from the beautiful, rugged Oregon Coast. Head north on Interstate 5 to reach Salem, the state capital, in under an hour or Portland in two hours.
The Eugene Airport is only 10 minutes from downtown, and Amtrak rolls right into the city center.
Eugene is a booming and vibrant college town with several institutions of higher learning, including the University of Oregon. Known as Track Town USA, it's an outdoors-minded community with miles of urban forested trails for hiking and running. As a culinary destination, Eugene offers an abundance of locally grown, raised and produced food and beverage products. Together with neighboring Springfield, the city of Eugene provides a quality of life affirmed and enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.
In addition to a resume, applicants should submit a letter of application and links to at least three clips that show a range of reporting capability, from quicker/more SEO-friendly pieces (a roundup of new restaurants, for example) to more in-depth stories (such as looking at closure trends in an area) to enterprise (what has been the fallout of fewer restaurant inspections since COVID, for example).
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Use outreach (social media, community interactions) and storytelling to connect with the community, develop relationships, cultivate sources and keep a pulse on their beat. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust. Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Report quickly, clearly, accurately and providing context for our readers. Ability and willingness to work in a variety of story forms, from a quick social aggregation to local personality features or watchdog stories related to their beat.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not - using metrics to inform story choices, story delivery and shape beat strategies.
- Keep diversity and equity at the forefront of coverage considerations.\
- Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a minimum of at least 1 year of reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms. Experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital-first mission. Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Works well with others and collaboratively within a cross-functional team environment.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top