Food, Dining & Nightlife Editor
Arizona, USA • Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #16185
Thursday, May 27, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Food, Dining & Nightlife Editor
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a food, dining and nightlife editor to lead and contribute to coverage of metro Phoenix's vibrant bar, restaurant and nightlife scene, a key topic for our audience.
This editor must closely monitor local and national dining trends, restaurant industry news and chefs, and other prominent figures in the food and beverage community on social media; build and foster strong connections in the Arizona dining community; and use digital tools like Dataminr and CrowdTangle to maintain The Arizona Republic food section's reputation as the number one source for news about eating and drinking in metro Phoenix.
This editor will track food, beverage and restaurant industry issues at the local and national level, managing a team of staff writers and freelance contributors who create a combination of full-length and capsule reviews, breaking news, cultural criticism, reported essays, longform and multi-sourced stories and multimedia projects in a fast-paced, competitive, 24/7 news cycle. The editor will have a strong grasp on how to best use SEO, social media platforms, digital and production tools and public records and will possess the ability to visualize and execute coverage that furthers impactful conversations about the restaurant world in our community.
Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
- Have a vision for coverage of food and restaurant culture in Arizona and the greater metro Phoenix area and an understanding of how to present it to engage readers in the print and digital spaces.
- Lead and encourage a team of three journalists and freelance contributors.
- Cultivate coverage that connects with target audiences through breaking news, national and local trends, things to do, entertainment personalities and reviews.
- Plan and edit daily, trending and enterprise food and dining coverage for azcentral and The Arizona Republic by using metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Manage budgets.
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit. Grow the audience for azcentral's food and dining coverage through strategic planning, events and emerging social platforms.
- Helm and build a fanbase for Phoenix Eats dining group on Facebook and azcentraldining Twitter account. Host videos, Facebook/Instagram Live appearances and appear on podcasts.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to plan and produce compelling content.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 7 years' writing/newsroom experience.
- A strong interest in the Arizona dining scene and a hunger to explore topics such as class, race, economics, equity, conflict and humanity and how they affect our food system.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding use of metrics, social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top