Family Forward Reporter
- Paramus, NJ
Bergen County, NJ, USA Req #9254
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
The Record and NorthJersey.com, part of the USA Today Network, is looking for a local reporter with highly developed social media skills to deliver high-interest northern NewJersey content to key audiences. These stories will provide solutions that help them manage money, be better parents, and create and preserve memories - all in Bergen, Passaic and Morris counties in northern New Jersey. Topics could include local government news, education news, small business and breaking news.
• Creates content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. 50 %
• Plans and executes engagement opportunities to reach the Family Forward audience through digital and print stories, community events and social media. Connects with the community through outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) 20 %
• Works with senior director, local editor and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs. 15 %
• Collaborates with visuals and production team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed. 15 %
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and requirements
• Bachelor's degree and 1 to 3 years writing experience.
• Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
• Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our Family Forward audience's time and money.
• Experience with planning events from conception to execution.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Self-motivation and self-direction.
• Industry knowledge.
• Effective written and verbal communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
• Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
• Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
• Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
• Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
• Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
• Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Content.
• Valid Drivers license and a reliable vehicle.
HOW TO APPLY
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1)Your resume - one to two pages.
2)A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3)Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top