Experienced Digital News Producers / Editors
Florida, USA • Fort Myers, FL, USA • Naples, FL, USA Req #9586
Friday, May 7, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Experienced digital news editor and producer
The Florida Digital Optimization Team (DOT) is looking for an experienced Digital Producer/Editor to join its regional production hub. We're looking for someone who has a keen eye to detail and is comfortable with writing short breaking/trending stories as well as editing reporter copy before publishing. The producer will look for opportunities to optimize and promote stories, galleries and video that will engage a reader while also increasing that story's reach using multiple platforms, alternative storytelling and social media engagement.
This job requires taking initiative and seeking out opportunities to showcase the strong journalism from our newsrooms. Ideal candidates will have had at least two years of experience in a newsroom, copy editing experience, an interest in news and sports, be curious about how things work, and known troubleshooters. They will excel at multi-tasking. Experience in editing submitted opinion content a plus.
The schedule for this producer involves nights and/or a weekend shift.
The Florida Digital Optimization Team is a team that acts as the production muscle supporting newsrooms in Brevard, Fort Myers, Naples and the Treasure Coast, all of which are part of the USA Today Network. This role reports to the Digital Editor/Lead Producer and will be based in Southwest Florida with the flexibility to work out of our newsrooms in either Naples and Fort Myers.
The primary functions expected in the role:
- Work with reporting staff and DOT colleagues to plan, structure, aggregate and write news and information content for our digital platforms.
- Pay attention to Chartbeat and real-time social metrics to optimize the user experience on trending content.
- Assist in online coverage of major news events, breaking news and severe weather to ensure high quality consistent community coverage online.
- Manage daily platform coverage on web, app and social platforms.
- Create and edit stories and videos to enhance online coverage for all platforms.
- Aggregate content to increase user engagement.
- Assist in the management of user-generated content on the sites.
- Update and interact with fans/followers on multiple social media platforms as we grow our audience.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices while being mindful of AP style.
- Spot checking story flow in our print production system.
- Helping to proof print frontpages.
- BS/BA in related discipline or commensurate experience.
- At least 2-4 years of experience in a newsroom.
- Must have experience with Content Management Systems, news editing, simple photo editing, and have experience interacting with social networks on a professional level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Multitasks between several projects and as news develops.
- Excellent news judgement
- Top-notch writing and headline-writing skills
- A strong team player
- Serves in a lead role in certain digital or newsroom projects.
- Knowledgeable about industry trends and being willing to experiment with them.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
- Flexible and understanding that schedules change depending on the news of the day.
- Self-starter. Determines and develops approach to solutions.
Back to top