Daytona Beach, FL, USA • Florida, USA Req #21043
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Executive Editor, The Daytona Beach News-Journal
We are seeking an experienced, innovative journalist to be a transformational leader for the Daytona Beach News Journal. This newsroom, which serves one of the most famous resort towns on Florida's East Coast, needs an editor to drive high-impact, watchdog journalism and rich local coverage that both strengthens the community and our bonds with readers.
The editor must be able to drive this journalism on digital platforms, tell stories in ways that serve online readers and set priorities and allocate resources to grow digital subscriptions. The editor must have a proven track record of building successful, diverse teams that reflect the communities they serve and won't settle for the status quo.
This hands-on leader must be an excellent coach, mentor and recruiter to develop the strongest staff of journalists possible. The editor must be able to represent the News-Journal in the community and spread the word of the importance of local news. Good communication and organizational skills will serve you well as you move between many strategically important responsibilities.
Experience in or knowledge of Florida communities is a significant plus. Most important is a passionate commitment to the role of a local newsroom editor and the importance of the work we do every day.
The News-Journal is part of Gannett's USA TODAY Network. Its journalists regularly produce work that is featured on websites and in print papers of 18 Gannett properties across Florida. Network journalists also contribute to USA TODAY.
Leadership - Leading with Foresight
- Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility
- Provide exemplary leadership in developing and executing the strategic vision.
- Provide leadership and be knowledgeable in state and local news, investigative journalism, public service, and government issues.
- Champion change management efforts that include strong communication of the company's strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on strategic audiences. Special emphasis is placed on digital and future emerging platforms. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Facilitate strong community connections with a relevant editorial voice and personal interaction.
- Attract, retain and develop top talent.
- Understand and execute work/life balance strategies for employees.
- Be a champion of diversity, equity and inclusion - with the understanding that diversity includes everyone and drives customer and operational innovation.
- Manage for results in a metrics-driven environment.
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
- Edit stories skillfully as a hands-on daily editor, ensuring stories are of the highest quality.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision and strategy focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with other departments in the development and implementation of multi-platform products to grow audience and engagement.
- Utilize multiple and diverse sources (individuals, disciplines, bodies of knowledge) for ideas and inspiration.
- Ensure the newsroom's budgets are managed according to operational needs and priorities.
- Impactful journalism that helps improve our community and makes a difference in our readers' lives.
- Fulfillment of purpose in serving our state and communities with a diverse workforce.
- Participation in creation of successful products that meet the needs of readers..
- Measurable contributions to the achievement of audience goals on all platforms.
• Bachelor's degree or higher.
• Minimum of five years in significant leadership roles in a newsroom with demonstrated success.
• Clear understanding of the First Amendment and the highest regard for upholding those standards.
• Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
• A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
• Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
• Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
• Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
• Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
• Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team highly desirable.
• Experience driving a successful turnaround or transformation highly desirable.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.