Entertainment, Culture and Celebrity Reporter
750 N Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262, USA, Palm Springs, CA, USA Req #6176
Friday, October 19, 2018
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Entertainment, Culture and Celebrity Reporter
The Desert Sun/ desertsun.com in Palm Springs, California, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring an experienced lifestyle, entertainment and celebrity reporter to cover the vibrant cultural scene in the Coachella Valley. This part of Southern California, which includes the communities of Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Desert Hot Springs, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, La Quinta, Coachella, and Indio, is bursting with compelling stories to chase and conceive.
Our ideal candidate has a thirst for scoops and a knack for source-building and must have a robust appetite for (and knowledge of) the worlds of film, television, music, art, architecture and food. This reporter is a social media pro who actively follows the comings and goings of the high-profile entertainers and cultural movers and shakers who come to the Coachella Valley to live, perform or just relax. This person will be a key part of our coverage of major events such as Coachella, Stagecoach and the Palm Springs International Film Festival. And given that desert gastronomy is coming into a new era, this reporter must have an appetite for trying new things and exploring unique angles in a dining scene that caters to locals and tourists alike.
Do you have what we're looking for? To succeed in this role, you must be an energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories and trends that matter. You love beating the competition and work well on deadline and under pressure. You can connect our community to the larger California and American cultural scene, reaching audiences not just in the Coachella Valley but across the country and around the world. You can research, report and write buzzy stories that inform and engage readers, and you have the demonstrated ability to craft engaging profiles. You are active on multiple social media platforms with a demonstrated voice and lively presence.
You will be expected to shoot and edit basic photos and videos on red carpets, at museum openings and at music festivals, among other events. You will be a key part of growing our digital audience by producing reliable reports with frequent updates and exclusive details. In this position, you will also serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and will be expected to connect with our audience via social media, on camera and in person at live events.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous reporting experience in the arts and entertainment space; even better if you've covered breaking news.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Fluency in Spanish is an advantage.
- Must be able to work regular night and weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top