Corpus Christi, TX, USA • Texas, USA Req #19215
Tuesday, November 2, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times/ caller.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter who has the competitiveness to want to break news constantly, the eagerness to report the biggest story of the day and the desire to write impactful stories that people remember and want to share on social media.
The ideal candidate knows that good storytelling often includes a video component, so some video experience is preferred. This reporter would need to build a story quickly for digital platforms and then know how to advance the story with an engaging lead and well sourced copy.
Enterprise is at the heart of this position. It's for someone who isn't afraid of the biggest story of the day, the month, or the year.
The Caller-Times is also looking for a reporter comfortable with FOI requests and database reporting who hasn't forgotten how good old-fashioned shoe leather often leads to the best stories. This reporter is a strong storyteller who doesn't just break news but has the writing skills that make readers invest into reading longer pieces.
We put value on real-time reporting and breaking news on digital platforms and seek energetic and eager reporters who naturally think that way.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos, and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains, and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful, in-depth reporting of complex issues.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Mentor colleagues.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years' of daily newspaper experience, with published work showing the ability to write breaking news stories, enterprise pieces and features both big and small.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Include your top five links that show your expertise in storytelling.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.