Emerging Audiences Editor
- Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, WI, USA Req #11909
Monday, October 5, 2020
Emerging Audiences Editor
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/ jsonline.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an emerging audiences editor to help us strengthen our journalism and our connections with community members through powerful storytelling, audience engagement and strategic planning.
The Journal Sentinel has a long history of telling stories that enrich lives, hold the powerful accountable and bring the public's attention to situations in need of change and improvement. We've also charted a path toward reader-supported journalism, leading Gannett in digital subscriptions in recent years.
Now, we're looking for a journalist who can help us continue our audience and subscription growth and do so in a way that centers us in our community.
The ideal candidate will have strong news judgment, a love of analytics and data, and a passion for seeing journalism not only survive but also continue to evolve to be of more value to diverse communities and audiences.
The emerging audiences editor will work with editors and reporters across the newsroom to formulate strategies for how specific beats can consistently deliver authentic, representative content that resonates with individuals and communities we have not served well in the past - content that is for these audiences, not merely about them.
This person is comfortable using analytical tools to study what connects with audiences that are new to us and working with colleagues to arm them with information that helps them find and tell more of these stories.
The emerging audience's editor will also work with our corporate subscription and loyalty team to craft and carry out strategies for reaching audiences, building loyalty and growing subscriptions.
This is a role for someone with experience in audience engagement and social listening but knows when face-to-face interactions and on-the-ground reporting is best.
We need someone who is comfortable asking hard questions - of community members who haven't been served by our content, and of journalists and editors in our newsroom - and can turn difficult answers into opportunities for change and improvement.
This is a new and somewhat unique role, and we understand that not every applicant will have all of the experiences listed here. If this job sounds exciting to you but you worry you lack some of the background, please still apply. We know the right person for this role will bring their own experiences and passions, and we are committed to providing skills training and support.
- Craft and carry out newsroom subscription campaigns and coordinate with corporate teams on subscription retention efforts.
- Work with digital team and story editors to set new-audience and loyalty goals, then track and assist with progress.
- Ensure digital stories are properly packaged with links, audience-focused headlines and strong SEO to draw specific audiences to relevant content.
- Attend story meetings, pitch ideas and produce content.
- Assist with live events and in-person outreach.
- Assist with newsroom efforts to broaden story sources.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to act quickly but thoughtfully on deadline, preferably in a digitally focused environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate clearly.
- Experience with social listening and SEO trends.
- Familiarity with the Table Stakes newsroom transformation program a plus.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top