CO Salary Range: USD 70,000.00 - 80,000.00 per year
Colorado, USA • Pueblo, CO, USA Req #19344
Thursday, October 28, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Editor, Pueblo Chieftain, Pueblo, Colorado
The Pueblo Chieftain/ chieftain.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a dynamic, results-driven editor to lead the newsroom in producing impactful journalism that engages a growing community of readers with vital journalism.
The editor will be responsible for supervising reporters dedicated to providing a steady stream of high-quality content for Chieftain.com, Colorado's oldest daily newspaper and affiliated products in Pueblo and southeast Colorado.
The editor will use metrics and audience research to guide decisions about covering topics and issues that will drive digital audience growth.
The primary job of this editor is to be a coach, working with staff members to make strategic decisions about coverage plans and directing and championing investigative reporting. As a key ambassador to the community, the editor will work to increase the visibility and impact of the staff's work in Pueblo, Pueblo County and surrounding areas.
Excellent news judgment and editing skills are a must. A successful candidate will embrace the latest developments in video, digital technology and social media and will experiment with innovative approaches to build audience. This editor will report to the Fort Collins Coloradoan's executive editor and must effectively collaborate with the regional Digital Optimization Team and a centralized Design Center, which produces the print newspapers.
This is an ideal position for a self-starter who yearns to run a newsroom; likes coaching reporters and knows how to help them elevate their work; and enjoys community outreach. The position requires a bachelor's degree and at least five years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles.
Pueblo is a diverse city of 110,000 residents on Colorado's southern Front Range. It is a city of rich, multigenerational, multicultural heritage where community pride and aspirations are high. Here, you'll grow while leading a team of 11 journalists that are part of the USA TODAY NETWORK's 25-member Colorado team. You'll produce journalism with local-to-national reach and be on the frontlines of the industry's digital transformation.
- Help reporters hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real-time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Use metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Serve as an ambassador to the community on the Chieftain's behalf.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
- $70,000 to $80,000
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.