Editor - Non Daily News
Are you passionate about community storytelling? Skilled as a public ambassador, community outreach and connecting with readers through great journalism? Do you love collaborating with others to shape storytelling that will generate audience interest? If you answered yes, keep reading…
Argus Leader Media, a member of Gannett Co., Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an Editor to cover our two weekly publications, the Brandon Valley Challenger and the Dell Rapids Tribune.
In this role, you will:
- Create quality multimedia storytelling using text, photography and videography that accurately informs, entertains and engages our two community audiences in Brandon and Dell Rapids. Each community has a weekly printed newspaper, as well as pages online at argusleader.com
- Uses audience metrics to assist in making coverage decisions.
- Acts as a community watchdog in this area of expertise.
- Collaborates and connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social
media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Find and promote community voices through columns, letters and other opportunities.
- Works with content coaches and other journalists to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Works on special projects and performs editing of visuals when needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
Here's what you need:
- Degree in Communication, Journalism or equivalent experience and education
- Internship or previous experience in the job duties preferred
- Experience with multimedia storytelling techniques on multiple platforms
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, photography and videography)
- Ability to use basic and advanced computer programs, including but not limited to word
processing, video editing software and Adobe Photoshop
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong industry knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Understanding of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
- Candidates must have a valid driver's license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation.
Here's what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
Argus Leader Media is a statewide news organization covering South Dakota. Sioux Falls, a metro area of 250,000, is a great place to live, work and play. Renowned dining options, a stellar park and bike trail system, multiple minor league sports and a vibrant downtown are all here in Sioux Falls. Argus Leader
Media is a member of the USA TODAY NETWORK, and part of the Gannett Co. an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top