Diversity, equity & inclusion reporter
New York, USA ● Westchester County, NY, USA Req #14961
Monday, April 5, 2021
Diversity, equity and inclusion reporter
The Journal News/lohud is looking for a reporter to cover diversity, equity and inclusion in Westchester and Rockland counties. In this beat, the reporter will write for, not about,
people and communities most impacted by America's legacy of discrimination and its ongoing impacts in areas including health, housing, policing and employment, with a special and immediate focus on how our institutions, governments, employers and communities will act on the social and racial inequities laid bare in the dual crises of COVID-19 and the killing of George Floyd.
The diversity, equity and inclusion reporter engages with members of underserved and marginalized communities to produce digital content that holds government and state and local agencies accountable. In the lower Hudson Valley, targeted communities include Black, Latino, ultra-Orthodox Jewish and others defined by racial, ethnic, religious, sexual identities.
If you value, as we do, making journalism more diverse, equitable and inclusive, and are passionate, as we are, about flexing your reporting and writing muscles to help find new audiences through riveting storytelling, this is a role for you.
The ideal candidate will:
• Pursue revelatory stories and thoughtful analysis related to diversity, equity and inclusion issues in communities in Westchester, Rockland.
• Develop relationships with public officials, citizens, experts and others in order to provide unique insight into racial and social justice issues in our communities.
• Give special focus to the impact of policing tactics on members of marginalized communities, relying on interviews with community members, records searches and discussions with experts.
• Seek out and rely on public records, including databases when appropriate, to examine how government agencies perform and how and when they fall short of their own goals and standards or cause harm in the community.
• Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with influencers and engaged readers through social media.
• Work with investigative and storytelling editors and audience analysts to shape reporting and storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
• Help people in underserved communities share their knowledge and their lived experience.
• Build strong relationships to learn what information these community members need/want to know.
• Determine the best digital platforms and methods of presentation to inform underserved communities.
• Consistently make use of solutions journalism principles to produce outstanding enterprise work that leads to positive change within these communities.
This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top