Director, Software Development
- Milwaukee, WI
- Rochester, NY
- New York, NY
- Tucson, AZ
- Flexible / Remote
- Nashville, TN
- Memphis, TN
- Fort Myers, FL
- Manhattan, NY
- Springfield, MO
- McLean, VA
- Asbury Park, NJ
Asbury Park, NJ 07712, USA ● Fort Myers, FL, USA ● Manhattan, New York, NY, USA ● McLean, VA, USA ● Memphis, TN, USA ● Milwaukee, WI, USA ● Nashville, TN, USA ● New York, NY, USA ● Rochester, NY, USA ● Springfield, MO, USA ● Tucson, AZ, USA ● Virtual Req #14320
Thursday, April 15, 2021
Director, Software Engineering
USA TODAY's marketplace platforms group is looking for a director of product development to join our product team focused on new product development, focused on the digital transformation of large existing businesses into digital first businesses that support our local news presence throughout the United States. We are seeking an innovative and strategic Director of Product Development with a blend of strong product development and technology along with a proven track record of leading technical teams to develop new and innovative services and products.
This is a hands-on role with strategic responsibility of innovating to create a technology advantage wherever possible. This role is responsible for managing the IT team and ensuring successful delivery of Gannett's product offerings. We are seeking a strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit. If you can see and feel your impact on the business, we are seeking you!
USA TODAY's marketplace platforms group is looking for a director of software engineering to join our product team focused on new product development and the digital transformation of large existing businesses that support our local news presence throughout the United States.
The director of software engineering will play a key role in defining the architecture, developing features and mentoring junior developers working on the web applications and APIs. You will be working on cutting edge, highly scalable web applications to bolster and grow and transform our existing business. You will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing these sites while helping to develop new products.
As a director of software engineering, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage a team of junior and senior engineers across a set of initiatives, ensuring their ability to deliver, grow, and learn new skills and capabilities.
- Define high level product architecture that delivers value to market in a timely manner, building new applications on modern technologies and frameworks while interfacing with legacy platforms within Gannett.
- Define and enable our teams to deliver higher quality code more quickly through the adoption and evangelizing of modern software development techniques.
- Development of a high traffic websites and restful APIs including hands on implementation, testing, review, and documentation
- Work with stakeholders during the requirement gathering and acceptance testing process
- Troubleshoot operations issues as required
- Integrate internal as well as third-party web services and components
- Consistently follow and continue to help improve our processes including source control, deployment and issue tracking
- Document solutions to institutionalize knowledge for the development, operational, support, and end user communities
The USA Today marketplace platforms is a polyglot environment utilizing a number of key technologies, including:
- Platform: Kubernetes, Skaffold
- Data: Hasura, postgres, graphQL
A director of software engineering is expected to work effectively as an autonomous member of our team. As such we are looking for:
- Minimum 8 years of web development and integration experience
- Demonstrated professional development experience developing and consuming APIs and web services
- Practical knowledge of software development methodologies
- Bachelor's degree expected in a technical discipline or compensating experience
Desired skills would include the following:
- JIRA and Confluence
- Build automation
- Developing and deploying applications hosted in AWS or similar cloud environments
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top