Director, real time and social news
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Arizona Republic, winner of the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for explanatory reporting, is seeking a director of real time and social news to develop strategic approaches for breaking news, social media reporting and visualization. The director will collaborate on short and long-term projects, establish goals, structure and training for the newsroom and innovate the delivery of news at a fast pace.
Using analytics, journalistic techniques and conversations with readers, the director will develop new storytelling techniques and opportunities for growth and engagement on a local and national scale.
- Managing a team of editors, reporters and producers focused on social and breaking news
- Provide direction and leadership during breaking news events
- Create and deploy strategies and initiatives that leverage breaking and social news across the newsroom that are in line with the Republic's editorial priorities
- Demonstrate fast news judgment on an ongoing basis
- Direct experiments with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate story forms
- Research and identify platforms and trends where breaking and social news can excel and work with various teams to develop a strategy for those platforms, including the business side
- Experience working in deadline-driven reporting or storytelling environment
- Experience managing teams
- Demonstrated leadership in online community-building
- A passion for empathetic, compassionate storytelling
- Strong news judgment and writing skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy is a must
The Arizona Republic is an industry innovator in a region of national importance. Along with the win in 2018, the newsroom has twice been a Pulitzer finalist for breaking news, for coverage of the 2013 Yarnell Hill Fire and the 2011 assassination attempt of then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The Republic is part of the USA TODAY Network, the largest team of journalists in the United States.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top