Asbury Park, NJ 07712, USA • Fort Myers, FL, USA • Manhattan, New York, NY, USA • McLean, VA, USA • Memphis, TN, USA • Nashville, TN, USA • New York, NY, USA • Rochester, NY, USA • Tucson, AZ, USA • Virtual Req #20115
Monday, January 10, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
This position is responsible for business development activities relating to Gannett's enterprise partnership objectives. The candidate will be based around McLean, VA but the position is mostly remote . Qualified candidates must possess strong communication and negotiati on skills, relentless attention to detail, positive attitude, strong management skills, strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for the job and completion of tasks, and flexibility with an eye on meeting key dates and requirements.
The person will have access to confidential business plans, potential partnerships or acquisitions prior to execution, confidential information from outside companies covered by non-disclosure agreements and will need to take the necessary steps to keep such information confidential. The job require s minimal travel . Work may require odd hours from time to time due to the nature and urgency of negotiations.
Area of Influence. Person will report to the Senior Director, Business Development and will be required to interface with all levels of the organization (managers to senior executive "C" levels) . The person will be required to work with the legal and cross-divisional business and finance departments on a daily basis in order to negotiate and execute agreements .
Focus and Impact . The person will need to be able to support various business units and will require the ability to become quickly versed in technologies, products, services ( e.g. social, mobile) in order to negotiate and execute contracts. The person will also be asked to be part of strategic discussions, projects, and planning .
Autonomy and Complexity . Working with the Senior Director, this person will need to determine how to approach negotiations and have the independence to make day-to-day decisions regarding the approval of the terms of agreements for the best interest of the company . This person will need to provide summary status reports to various executives as requested.
- Job Requirements:
- Creating business relationships and qualifying business opportunities relevant to Gannett's key goals
- Negotiating digital and other publishing-related deals-inclusive of the optimization of Gannett's current partners.
- Navigating internal deal routing processes and securing budgetary, business and legal approval(s).
- Fostering internal communication among cross-divisional stakeholders.
- Confirm budget, timing and strategic requirements in order to execute deals/partnerships ( e.g. prioritization, clearing any obstacles).
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders while communicating and resolving any potential issues.
- Discuss and negotiate relationships with third-party vendors, partners, technology suppliers and others.
- Assess proposals from potential partners or suppliers and provide input to key stakeholders.
- Participate with other key players in Business Development or other business entities in making strategic discussions based on knowledge of the area and businesses they deal with.
- Handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, MBA and/or JD preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of related experience.
- Experience at an internet, media or technology startup environment.
- Advanced-level knowledge of emerging technologies, internet business models and digital media.
- Strong understanding of commercial contracts and associated legal terms.
- Resourceful self-starter with an independent attitude and focus on excellence.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills -- ability to effectively communicate complex technical, legal concepts and ideas in a non-technical, simple manner across different levels of an organization.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office ( e.g. redlining word documents, financial modeling in excel).
- Ability to operate in a high-energy, high-intensity and rapidly evolving environment.
- Solid organizational and project management skills are also required .