California, USA • Stockton, CA, USA • Virtual Req #14163
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
DIGITAL PRODUCER - Stockton, CA (may be virtual / remote)
The USA TODAY NETWORK - The West Region Hub is seeking experienced digital producers to join the production desk. A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment to manage the website's fronts and serve as quality control on its content. Candidates should have excellent writing and copy-editing skills with prior digital news or story packaging experience. Candidates must be detail-oriented and work well under pressure to meet demanding deadlines as well as demonstrate an understanding of audience metrics and SEO with the goal of growing audience and digital subscriptions. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, who can work closely with reporters, content coaches and newsroom leadership.
This role will include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
Typical job duties:
- Edit, produce and publish content, optimizing for SEO and digital best practices.
- Edit sensitive content for clarity, fairness, legal issues, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Work with reporters and editors on projects, offering digital guidance.
- Manage home pages, programming desktop and mobile, to engage a loyal audience.
- Direct and edit breaking news reporters in the absence of the breaking news editor.
- Monitor wire services and other media.
- Use metrics todetermine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and Google Analytics products a plus.
- A bachelor's degree in communications or journalism, or the equivalent in experience and education.
- At least 2-5 years of experience working for a daily news organization.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Top-notch writing, editing and headline-writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
Interested and qualified candidates, when applying, please upload your materials combined into one single document with as much of the following as possible: your updated resume, a brief cover letter, and a few examples of your work (portfolio/work samples/clips/links, etc.)
**Your materials must be combined into a single document attachment / upload (preferably as a PDF file). The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.