- Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #12351
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
The Arizona Republic/ azcentral.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for an experienced digital producer to join the production desk at The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com in Phoenix, one of the USA TODAY Network's largest news sites and a hub of network coverage in the U.S. Southwest.
A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment to manage the website's fronts and serve as quality control on its content. You should have excellent writing and copy-editing skills with prior digital news or story packaging experience.
Candidates must be detail-oriented and work well under pressure to meet demanding deadlines, as well as demonstrate an understanding of audience metrics and SEO with the goal of growing the audience. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, who can work closely with reporters, content coaches and newsroom leadership.
- Edit, produce and publish content, optimizing for SEO and digital best practices.
- Work with reporters and editors on projects, offering digital guidance.
- Manage azcentral.com's home pages, programming desktop and mobile, to engage a loyal audience.
- Direct and edit breaking news reporters in the absence of the breaking news editor.
- Monitor wire services and other media.
- Use metrics to determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and Google Analytics products a plus.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working for a daily news organization.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Top-notch writing, editing and headline-writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing quick write-ups based on trending topics.
- Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Able to work early morning, night or weekend shifts.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 5 online samples of digital storytelling. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top