Digital News Producer
Appleton, WI, USA • Wisconsin, USA • Virtual Req #18046
Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Digital News Producer
USA TODAY NETWORK-Central Wisconsin, is looking for a versatile journalist to join our team as a producer serving our 10 Wisconsin newsrooms, based out of The Post-Crescent/postcrescent.com.
As a producer, you'll be involved in the oversight of our print-edition production, so an editing mindset, attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple duties on deadline is important.
You'll also be involved in copy-editing stories and making sure they're publication ready. At times, you'll also serve as a general assignment reporter, writing on a variety of topics - including breaking news, entertainment and features.
In both parts of the job, we're looking for a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment, understands the constantly changing news cycle and embraces the need to be flexible.
This position is primarily afternoon and night hours, Tuesdays through Saturdays. In addition to your primary duties, you may be occasionally assigned other work as our needs dictate. This position is available for remote work.
- Ensure quality control of our print editions, working with our design center staff to meet each edition's deadline.
- Contribute to urgent coverage spanning all newsroom beats.
- Able to spot and fix issues related to grammar, spelling, punctuation and style.
- Monitor comments on stories and social media, taking action when required, based on conduct guidelines.
- Other social media and digital production duties as needed.
- Efficiently and accurately write stories on assigned topics.
- Collaborate with newsroom team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics).
- Works with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of reporting/newsroom experience in a professional or college setting.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Passion about learning how to serve our audience to drive subscriber growth.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, occasionally stressful situations.
- Desire to grow and develop skills as a journalist.
- Experience at collaborating well with others.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of digital storytelling. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top