DIGITAL DIRECTOR – INDIANAPOLIS STAR
The IndyStar, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a talented, results-driven journalist with a passion for digital storytelling to serve as our newsroom leader of digital operations. The person in this senior-level position will play an important role shaping the strategic vision for our digital growth, and help our team execute those strategies at the highest level.
The editor in this role will need great news sense and a deep understanding of how we seek out and build the biggest audiences possible for our content. The ideal candidate is someone who loves to coach others, sets high standards and has a record of developing strategies for growth and engagement. This person will work with the content creation teams to develop strategies for maximizing the impact and delivery of content at optimal times and with platform needs in mind. The director is also a key driver for innovation in digital content and products.
IndyStar is a digital-focused newsroom with a record of developing new kinds of audience experiences, including interactive content and live programming efforts, videos such as The Drop that were developed specifically for social media platforms, and sports shows during the Colts and Pacers seasons.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Sophisticated knowledge of digital platforms and social media
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money
- Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Industry knowledge
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Oversee the programming, production, packaging and promotion of newsroom content across various digital platforms, with an emphasis on mobile platforms.
- Make daily content decisions based on news judgment, knowledge of platforms and insights from audience metrics.
- Help newsroom understand how audiences consume content across digital platforms.
- Work effectively across all divisions (sales, marketing, news) and help set key strategies and direction for the organization.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top