USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20 digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, and Amazon. We reach over 100 million unique visitors a month, which is more than Buzzfeed, Yahoo News, and Huffington Post, and have local brands present in 110 U.S. markets. We have a loyal following based on a combination of trusted, fact-checked journalism, innovative products, a deep commitment to our local communities, and our constantly iterating our products to be on the leading edge of media and technology.
Explore the possibilities at Gannett as a Developer on our cloud platform team. Gannett is a top global digital media company ranked in the Fortune 500 that reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of broadcast, mobile and publishing properties. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever they need us.
Gannett is seeking a Developer to join its Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) team, a new group responsible for implementing cutting-edge cloud technology, developing new processes and making dynamic changes that affect production-level systems organization-wide.
The developer will play a key role in maintaining dozens of Gannett's applications already in the cloud, plus migrating hundreds more. They will be using Jenkins, Chef and Python to deploy code to a hybrid cloud running thousands of servers, and will have the opportunity to evaluate new processes and shape the policies of new environments.
If picking a favorite automation tool sparks an argument in your own head, if you have strong opinions about the definition of "high availability," and if you pick cattle over pets every time, you'd probably fit in well here.
Technologies and Disciplines
- Linux (CentOS/RHEL) and Windows Server
- Nginx and uWSGI, plus Node.js and IIS
- MSSQL/MySQL/Postgres databases
- Couchbase, MongoDB and other NoSQL databases
- Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack
- Jenkins and Team City build servers
- Automation using Python and Bash, plus extensive use of Chef
- Monitoring with Splunk, AppDynamics and DataDog
- 15% - Application on-boarding
- 15% - Environment Support
- 20% - Platform Automation Scripting
- 15% - Chef Development
- 10% - Documentation
- 10% - New Technology Evaluation
- 15% - Cloud Management
- 3+ years experience in Linux systems administration
- Experience deploying to AWS or other clouds
- Experience with auto-scaling and the architecture of stateless applications
- Experience with Chef or other configuration management tools
- Automation experience using Python or Bash (plus source control such as git)
- Knowledge of Ruby
- Experience using a cloud management platform such as Scalr, Rightscale or CliQr
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top