Austin, TX, USA • Virtual Req #18975
Monday, October 11, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Design Studio - Wire Editor
JOB PURPOSE: Produces high-quality content working closely with multiple Gannett newspapers. Demonstrates command of headline writing techniques to produce engaging, error-free work. Performs duties under minimal supervision. Employs journalistic principles as well as site-specific documentation to determine importance when selecting wire content to be used in Gannett newspapers. Ensures fairness in words and tone for headlines, breakouts, promotional type and captions for print. Serves a critical role in raising excellence through coaching and mentoring other Page Editors/Wire Editors and working with newsrooms to ensure accurate and engaging presentation of content.
- Works with minimal supervision to write sophisticated headlines and other display type on content as assigned. Trims stories to fit the designated space. Selects appropriate wire content and edits that content into templates as needed. Utilizes CUE system best-practice. workflow to avoid story repetitions.
- Proofreads display type and tracks jumps, correcting errors in own work as well as work of others, as needed. Corrects errors in spelling and grammar, but also makes suggestions to improve unclear ideas. Edits display type to Network and AP style.
- Could be asked to provide day-to-day guidance to other Page Editors/Wire Editors in accomplishing team goals and meeting deadlines.
- Displays versatility in moving between page editing and wire editing functions, as needed. Provides mentoring/coaching for teammates in moving between pages editing and wire editing functions.
- Performs other duties as necessary and as assigned.
Must have the ability to work independently and with people especially under deadline. Must be express thoughts clearly and accurately in headlines and other display content. Must organize and package numerous elements, resolve production issues and communicate effectively to meet deadlines. Must be able to resolve any concerns and make decisions on stories independently. Must be able to discern the news value of stories, including using market information provided by individual newsrooms.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.