Data visual reporter
- Wilmington, DE
Wilmington, DE, USA Req #17696
Monday, August 2, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
DATA VISUAL REPORTER
The News Journal/Delawareonline.com is seeking a data reporter who can help raise the quality of data visuals and in-depth reporting at the state's largest news source. The successful candidate has expertise acquiring, organizing and presenting data in a way that is clear, attractive and informative for readers. We are looking for a reporter who can find and tell stories and illustrate them with cutting edge data tools, as well as work with other reporters. Experience with coding and programming to analyze and present data is a must.
What you'll do here
- Pitch and report stories, analyze data, create data visualizations, and build beautiful web presentations
- Collaborate with reporters and editors from across the newsroom.
- Design and develop interactive tools and databases to tell a compelling story and summarize your analysis.
- Wrangle data, including requesting it, scraping it, cleaning it, analyzing it and preparing it for publication.
- At least 3 years of experience at a daily news organization.
- Familiarity with digital storytelling tools and techniques.
- Outstanding core journalism skills, including writing, spelling, grammar and AP style.
- Ability to work with mapping software to analyze spatial data and produce maps for the web.
- A portfolio that includes web design and interactive graphics.
- Ability to clean and analyze data, including programmatically.
- Ability to programmatically extract structured data from unstructured documents.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics.
Finally, we're looking for someone who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it. If that's you, we encourage to apply, even if you don't possess all of these skills.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top