Data Science Architect
Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20 digital media companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, and Amazon. We reach some120 million unique visitors a month, more than Washington Post, New York Times, Yelp or LinkedIn, and have local brands present in 110 U.S. markets as well as a growing digital-only presence. We have a loyal following based on a combination of trusted, fact-checked journalism, innovative products, a deep commitment to our local communities, and are constantly iterating our products to stay ahead in the ever-changing media and technology landscape.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The USA TODAY Network Gannett is seeking a Lead Data Scientist to join our Audience Platform Group (APG) focused on new data science initiatives for Gannett, helping realizing our goal of a 360-view of Gannett's consumers and business customers across the online and offline worlds. This position reports to the Sr. Director of Data Solutions in the APG.
The purpose of the Lead Data Scientist role is to serve as a company-wide expert in Data Science, leading by example the implementation of data science on top of the Gannett Data Platform, built on the Hadoop eco-system. As such we expect you to:
- Explore and discover non-trivial opportunities in Gannett's big data sets of audience interactions with content and advertising as well as related data sets
- Ideate, then implement proofs of concepts and quick prototypes showing value of proposed projects
- Drive short data science projects to completion, working with data engineers and possibly other data scientists
- Act as mentor by example to data scientists, engineers and analysts
- Provide product management feedback to data platform team so as to improve efficiency of tooling serving the Gannett data science community
- Work with stakeholders and data scientists across the company
- Act as subject matter expert and evangelize data science best practices both within and outside Gannett
- Extensive experience in applying data science principles to real-world business scenarios
- Strong proven knowledge of Hadoop and related technologies
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills with the ability and desire to effectively communicate with and present to all stakeholders including senior leadership
- Proven knowledge in all stages of the software development life cycle
- Servant-leader mindset, influencing by example rather than by edict
- PhD in Data Science or a mathematics and modeling-focused program with 3 years experience in a software or modeling field, or a Masters of Science in the same and 7 years experience
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top