Data Platform Engineering Manager
- McLean, VA
McLean, VA, USA Req #9221
Wednesday, July 1, 2020
Data Platform Engineering Manager
Gannett is seeking a Manager for our Data Platform team, focused on operating our cloud-based Big Data platform, as well as building new data initiatives for the USA TODAY NETWORK. As part of the Subscription and Data Products group, the team sits centrally within the organization and implements big data and cloud based data warehouse solutions to support our marketing and advertising operations and generating user profile data to be used by our more than 400 reader-facing products.
As the Manager of the Data Platform team, you will have responsibility for the daily operations and management of the platform and the team. You will work directly with the department director, as well as fellow development managers and key stakeholders in Product, Strategy, Marketing and Revenue. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Provide daily management of the team of 10 Hadoop engineers and ETL developers
- Working with the department Director, set strategy and roadmap for the continued evolution of Gannett's data platform
- Closely collaborate with other department managers in overlapping areas
- Act as point of contact for external teams
- With the aid of the department Project Manager, run agile sprints delivering incremental value, while continuing to ensure operational excellence
- Based on your experience as a Data Engineer, manager of a Data Warehouse team or similar experience, deliver personal leadership within the team and across the organization in the respective field
- Mentor, retain, and help recruit team members as needed
The Manager should be able to draw upon their past experience to provide effective operational leadership of our team. As such we are looking for:
- Proven track record of management, or positions leading up to management as the next natural career step
- Extensive, proven knowledge of Data Warehousing technologies, or Big Data (Hadoop and related technologies), either as a Data Warehouse or Big Data manager, or as a Big Data engineer or as a Data Scientist
- Experience with and appreciation for cloud hosting and Dev Ops in a Linux environment
- Solid general architectural skills, with proven experience in delivering complex data systems
- Proven knowledge in all stages of the software development life cycle, including the need for architecture, code reviews, unit and integration testing, CI and CD.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability and desire to effectively communicate with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- 8+ years of experience
- Bachelor or Masters degree, preferably in Computer Science
We'd be delighted if you also had experience with the following:
- JIRA and Confluence
- Google Cloud Platform
- Streaming data processing
- Data Governance
- Working with and developing solutions for media-related websites or publishers
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top