Milwaukee, WI, USA Req #8429
Monday, June 10, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/ jsonline.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a data journalist with a track record for obtaining, analyzing and sharing data for enterprise and investigative stories.
We are looking for a journalist who is an investigative reporter at heart and who relishes discovering new and creative ways of obtaining, creating, editing, analyzing and otherwise using data to tell stories, to right wrongs and to reveal things to readers that they do not know.
We want a reporter who is adept at juggling multiple projects - from quick-turn daily needs to deep-dive, data-driven investigations.
You will work on the award-winning watchdog team in one of the nation's most respected newsrooms, collaborating with a talented team of storytellers - reporters, photo journalists, online designers and data visualization specialists.
We're looking for someone who understands that all of the sophisticated analysis, programming and coding skill in the world don't matter in a newsroom if you can't use it to tell new, consequential stories that serve the public.
This position reports to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigations editor.
- Obtain and analyze government and commercially available data to break revelatory enterprise and investigative stories.
- Report and write original investigative or data-driven stories. In many cases, you will be teamed with other reporters on stories where data plays a key role.
- Help journalists from across the newsroom identify the best angles for unique, revealing stories for their local or statewide audience.
- Be actively engaged in the daily news discussion, looking for opportunities to develop data-driven angles and follow-up pieces.
- Help coordinate our searchable database offerings, such as state-employee salaries, and grow that audience by identifying ways to get the content in front of readers.
- Work collaboratively with other data journalists in our newsroom and at other USA TODAY NETWORK properties throughout the state. This includes identifying stories others can work on to keep their data skills sharp.
- Bachelor's or master's in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience, plus newsroom data analysis experience.
- Experience as a reporter for a news media organization, including a proven track record of collaboration on major enterprise or data projects.
- Demonstrable experience obtaining and analyzing data to drive investigative stories.
- Expert level Excel and SQL skills are a minimum. Experience with QGIS or other mapping tools a plus. You should be comfortable with statistics and have some proficiency with using R and/or Python for data acquisition, cleaning and analysis.
- Experience with scraping tools, web development or data science highly desirable.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top