Knoxville News Sentinel, part of the USA Today Network – Tennessee, has a position available for a Content Strategist. The content strategist coaches, supervises and directs the work of reporters, encouraging independent planning and self-direction. Guides reporters and photographers by applying specific expertise to ensure that they create high quality content that fulfills the newsroom's strategy across all platforms. Focus areas include, but are not limited to: investigative reporting, narrative writing, photography and videography, beat development and digital content. Sometimes takes a hands-on approach to accelerate a story's path to publication. Guides journalists by consultation and coaching before, during and after the creation of content. Focuses on the most important, sensitive and complex stories. Makes daily and long-term decisions about coverage plans and content production based on data, working in concert with the regional audience analyst. Works to ensure the right mix of content to strategically serve target audiences. Works collaboratively with the Digital Optimization Team and production team to execute presentation of content.
Typical Job Duties:
- Oversees reporters and photographers in establishing each journalist's weekly and monthly strategic plan. When necessary, redirects individuals' plans to balance or complete the group's work.
- Supervises the work of reporters and photographers, with an emphasis on independent idea and content generation. Works individually with content creator by identifying areas for improvement and coaching them on how to elevate their work.
- Applies research in creating high quality content and marketing initiatives that best serves key audience needs.
- Edits content that needs a high-level line editing touch and sometimes taking a hands-on approach to accelerate the path to publication.
- Guides watchdog projects in conjunction with executive editor.
- Manages the handoff of content to Digital Optimization Team. Uses Omniture, Chartbeat, Scarborough, ComScore and emerging analytics tools.
- Monitors real-time data to direct changes tied to the data.
- Identifies and addresses training needs of individuals and groups.
- Establishes and enforces standards – quantity and quality – for content-creation team members.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
- Five years of media management experience
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy
This is a full-time leadership position offering a base salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401K with company match. Gannett provides a great work environment with paid vacation, along with a number of additional benefits. Qualified candidates should include cover letter, resume and salary requirements when applying. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top