Content Manager / Editor
Arkansas, USA • Fort Smith, AR, USA Req #18062
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Fort Smith Times Record, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a dynamic, results-driven editor to lead a young, aggressive newsroom in producing impactful journalism that builds audiences and drives digital subscriptions.
The editor will be responsible for supervising a staff of five reporters and a photographer dedicated to providing high-quality content for swtimes.com, the daily Times Record print edition as well as four weekly community papers.
The editor will use metrics and audience research to guide decisions about covering topics and issues that will drive digital audience growth.
The primary job of this editor is to be a coach, working with staff members to make strategic decisions about coverage plans and directing and championing investigative reporting. As a key ambassador to the community, the editor will work to increase the visibility and impact of the staff's work in Fort Smith, Sebastian County and surrounding areas.
Excellent news judgment and editing skills are a must. A successful candidate will embrace the latest developments in video, digital technology and social media and will experiment with innovative approaches to build audience. This editor will report to the Arkansas state editor and must effectively collaborate with the regional Digital Optimization Team and a centralized Design Center, which produces the print newspapers.
This is an ideal position for a roll-up-your-sleeves self-starter who yearns to run a newsroom; likes coaching reporters and knows how to help them elevate their work; and enjoys community outreach. The position requires a bachelor's degree and at least five years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles.
- Help reporters hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Use metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Serve as an ambassador to the community on the Times Record's behalf.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Understanding of metrics, social-media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Back to top