The Des Moines Register is seeking a dynamic, creative multimedia coach to direct our team of photo/video journalists and lead the newsroom in all aspects of video.
The coach must coordinate audience-focused visual coverage that emphasizes live breaking news, watchdog enterprise and human interest content across our digital, social and print platforms. The coach must manage visuals from inception to publication, working with a variety of staffers in scheduling, assigning, producing and presenting compelling content online and on social platforms. Top candidates will have professional experience in shooting photographs, producing social-friendly video and understanding social media, as well as having knowledge about news-gathering issues involving ethics, privacy, libel, copyright, access and trespass.
The ideal candidate will challenge and inspire the visuals team and newsroom as a whole to press for creative, innovative approaches to telling stories on digital platforms.
- Short- and long-term planning and assigning of photo and video
coverage that encompasses both digital and print platforms.
- Analyzing metrics and developing best practices for growing
audience with photos and video, including search and social approaches.
- Leading staff in meeting audience growth goals for video. Coaching
photographers and reporters on video production and personally producing short
videos as needed.
- Editing still photos and related captions, following AP style.
Handling occasional shoots, such as in-house portraits.
- Working with newsroom staffers to plan creative and compelling
- Coordinating with other staffers to plan special event and project
- Supervising, mentoring and coaching the photo/video team,
determining equipment needs and maintaining the supplies budget.
- At least 5 years of journalism experience required, with experience in
shooting photos or video or managing a visuals staff preferred.
- Fluency with digital, social and print platforms and corresponding metrics
- Experience with live video, drone journalism, 360-degree
photos/videos and operating a Tricaster are pluses.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top