- Norwich, CT
Norwich, CT, USA Req #15860
Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Bulletin/norwichbulletin.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a News Editor to lead the news operation. The right candidate loves coaching and developing journalists who reveal important news, create stories with power and clarity and bring crucial context that helps our audience make sense of life in eastern Connecticut.
This senior editor role gives you the opportunity to lead Gannett's only Connecticut newsroom, providing the right candidate a chance to lead local coverage that will get deep into issues, while also bringing state news to life for both local and potentially national readers. Located in eastern Connecticut, Norwich offers quick access to outdoor activities such as hiking and beaches, while being a short drive to places such as New York City, Boston, Hartford and Providence, R.I.
- Organized and thinks digital first from planning coverage and setting deadlines, to working with the digital team to prepare and push out optimized content across all platforms.
- Uses Parse.ly to help reporters to identify and focus on issues of interest to our readers and produce high-engagement content, including accountability, solutions, enterprise and investigative journalism.
- Work with the executive editor to collaborate with news, photo, sports and digital teams to make sure our best work is surfaced - in print and online - and to share ideas and determine the best use of resources.
- Help staff identify and better engage with underserved communities and broaden our source base such that we regularly include people from minority communities when planning coverage and in our journalism.
- Work with the executive editor and an inter-departmental team to increase digital subscriptions and will work with other Gannett New England editors to produce and share content both across the region and nationally.
- Directs and champions investigative and First Amendment journalists.
- Monitors real-time metrics to develop a clear picture of audience needs.
- Provides excellent customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Represents the newspaper to community leaders and members of the community.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top