Virtual Req #7281
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Sports Media Group, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking to hire a dynamic Content Coach!
This position coaches, supervises and directs the work of reporters, encouraging independent planning and self-direction for Sports Media Group's NFL, NBA and College Wires as well as USA Today High School Sports. Guides reporters, site editors, photographers and videographers by applying specific expertise to ensure that they create high quality content that fulfills the Sports Media Group's strategy across all platforms. Focus areas include, but are not limited to: investigative reporting, narrative writing, photography and videography, beat development and digital content. Sometimes takes a hands-on approach to accelerate a story's path to publication. Guides journalists by consultation and coaching before, during and after the creation of content.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES
• Supervises the work of reporters and photographers, with an emphasis on independent idea and content generation. Works individually with content creator by identifying areas for improvement and coaching them on how to elevate their work. This includes emphasizing enterprise reporting and strong quick analysis off breaking news.
• Coordination of the Sports Media Group's NFL, NBA and College Wires content as well as USA Today High School Sports with the NOW desk when the news cycle calls for it.
• Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to apply research and analytics in creating high quality content and marketing initiatives that best serves key audience needs.
• Edits the top fraction of enterprise, watchdog or investigative content that needs a high-level line editing touch and sometimes taking a hands-on approach to accelerate the path to publication.
• Optimizing content across the Network, using analytics, content-sharing and budgeting tools and communication with web site and sports leaders across the Network. This includes integrating Sports Media Group digital content on USA TODAY and all local properties.
• Implementing and enforcing editorial standards, ethics and quality throughout Sports Media Group. This also will be done Network-wide, standardizing the use of unnamed sources (both the procedure for a reporter to gain approval and the precise language used in stories); fair use and permission, particularly in the use of images and video off social media; governing rights management; corrections and clarifications.
• Monitors real-time data to direct changes tied to the data.
• Ensures the best practices in SEO are being applied.
• Identifies training needs and conducts sessions as needed for individuals and groups.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Performs other duties as necessary.
- Experience managing remote distributed teams.
- Strong people manager who can lead and grow a group of journalists.
- Ability to edit and lead top-notch enterprise journalism.
- Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs.
- Exceptional digital storytelling skills.
- Exceptional coaching skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Industry knowledge.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top